Florida Braille and Talking Book Library's Summer Reading Program 2019
It's once again time for the Summer Reading Program! This year’s program is being held from June 10th through August 9th, 2019. You can prevent "summer slide" and encourage your kids to start next school year off strong by getting them to participate in this year’s program. They'll enjoy reading the absolute best books selected by other kids and teens just like them. Mom and Dad, you are welcome too and we have a book list for you as well! You can submit book reviews, check for challenges with incentives and prizes, and more! To register, send an email with the reader's name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then, start reading and we’ll keep in touch!
What books are eligible?
- All books are eligible! You aren’t limited by anyone’s list. Since we are more likely to read when it's a subject we enjoy, please feel free to choose any book on any topic that interests YOU! It doesn’t matter, as long as you read!
- We have put together a list of some universe and space books at the bottom of this page that may interest you. Feel free to check it out and let us know what you think!
- Other good sources of books are the Sunshine State Young Readers Award website and the Florida Teens Read Award website. You can also search the Braille and Talking Book Library Online Catalog with the phrase "sunshine state award" or "Florida teens read" for some award-winning books. (Instructions are also on the catalog page.) If there aren’t any copies available, please call us at 1-800-226-6075 so we can create a copy for you and mail it to you (or teach you how to access BARD).
- You may submit whatever books you chose on your own as well (after you finish reading them). The most important thing is to read as many books as you can this summer!
How do I get books?
There are many ways to get books to read!
- Call your child’s reading advisor at the Library at 1-800-226-6075 if you have a specific request.
- Download books from BARD. You can ask your reading advisor for further details if you haven’t yet done this.
- Search for books in the catalog and add them to your list.
What if a book I want is checked out?
Call the Library and ask for your reading advisor or email Maureen the Librarian at email@example.com with the book title ASAP. In many cases, the Library can create a rush cartridge for you, which we call a “Download on Demand” book.
Is there a minimum amount to win prizes?
No. Even reading one book (or having one book read to your student) is one step closer to strengthening your child’s retention and comprehension skills. Everyone wins and gets prizes!
How do I keep track?
Send an email when your child has completed a book and whether they liked it or not to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep track for you!
More ways to benefit:
- Engage your child with questions about the story after they have read it (or you have read it to them).
- If they didn’t like the book selected, ask them to make up a different story ending or different characters in the book.
- Ask them to tell you a story they made up.
- Use it as an example of a way to have fun without screen time (sitting in front of the computer, television, etc.)
Suggested Space and Universe Books
Kids Grades K-1-2
- Jumanji. DB050700, BR005317
- Gravity. BR021071, DB093317
- Moon Rope: A Peruvian Folktale = Un lazo a la luna: Una leyenda peruana. DB040759
- Good Night Yoga: A Pose-by-Pose Bedtime Story. BR021058
- To Burp or Not to Burp: A Guide to Your Body in Space. DB086674
Kids Grades 3-4-5
- Project Alpha. DB084169
- Nick and Tesla’s High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Mystery with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself. DB080750
- Hello, Universe. DB088222, BR022214
- Thirteen Moons on Turtle’s Back: A Native American Year of Moons. BR008981
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. BR018712, DB070391
- Commander Toad and the Intergalactic Spy. DB026479
- The Star Wars Cookbook: Wookiee Cookies and Other Galactic Recipes. BR012243
- Our Solar System. DB040713
- Origami Yoda series. Multiple titles. BR19478, DB74732, DB074739
- Quidditch Through the Ages. BR013500, DB052452
Kids Grades 6-7-8
- What We Found in the Sofa and How It Saved the World. DB077116
- Black Stars in Orbit: NASA’s African American Astronauts. DB041667
- Hidden Figures Young Readers’ Edition. DB086824
- Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon. DB063398
- George's Secret Key to the Universe. DB066970
- The Van Gogh Deception. DB091266
- They Dance in the Sky: Native American Star Myths. DB029175
- Star Wars: A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy. DB083213
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library. DB077918
- Star Wars: the New Essential Guide to Characters. DB054337
- DB093586 Aveni, Anthony. In the Shadow of the Moon: The Science, Magic, and Mystery of Solar Eclipses.
- BR019938 Gardner, Sally. Maggot Moon.
- DB084203 Hilton, Marilyn. Full Cicada Moon.
- DB090523 Kluger, Jeffrey, and Ruby Shamir. To the Moon! : The True Story of the American Heroes on the Apollo 8 Spaceship.
- DBC02928 Miller, Ron. Earth and the Moon.
- DB087308 Nordgren, Tyler. Sun, Moon, Earth: The History of Solar Eclipses, from Omens of Doom to Einstein and Exoplanet.
- DB080604 Valente, Catherynne M. The Girl Who Soared over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two.
- DB089578 Erskine, Kathryn. The Incredible Magic of Being.
- DB073167; BR019348 Scott, Elaine. Space, Stars, and the Beginning of Time: What the Hubble Telescope Saw.
- DB085282 Duyvis, Corinne. On the Edge of Gone.
- DB082663 Edwards, Janet Earth Girl; Earth Star; Earth Flight. EJEAR:1
- DB072662 Gill, David Macinnis. Black Hole Sun.
- DB091620 Gill, David Macinnis. Invisible Sun; Shadow on the Sun.
- DB087567 Gray, Claudia. Defy the Stars.
- DB072924 Revis, Beth. Across the Universe.
- DB074371 Revis, Beth. A Million Suns.
- DB076114 Revis, Beth. Shades of Earth.
- DB085793 Young, Karen Romano. Space Junk: The Dangers of Polluting Earth’s Orbit.
- BR014438; DB018339 Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
- DB069784 Aldrin, Buzz. Magnificent Desolation :The Long Journey Home From the Moon
- DB087747; BR021925 Carlo, Rovelli. Reality Is Not What it Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity
- DB015796; DB026740 Spanish version; Sagan, Carl. Cosmos.
- BR021906; DB089846 Tyson, Neil deGrasse. Astrophysics For People In a Hurry.
- DB090395; DB013986 Wolfe, Tom. The Right Stuff.
- BR021144, DB078389 Weir, Andy. The Martian.
- BRC00240, DB022934 Card, Orson Scott. Ender’s Game
- DB074083 Corey, James S.A. Leviathan Wakes
- BR020596, DB078031 Scalzi, John. These Broken Stars.