Friends of Library Access, Inc.
The Friends of Library Access, Inc. do much to support the Braille and Talking Book Library, the volunteers, and the patrons. They underwrite and participate actively in advocacy and outreach activities, which publicize the Library’s services and educate the public about disability-related issues.
Friends of Library Access, Inc. is a nonprofit corporation. Their mission is three fold:
- Provide Public Education,
- Provide Advocacy,
- Financially assist in the provision of accessible media, including Braille, recorded, and electronic materials.
Since its inception in 1992, the Friends of Library Access, Inc. has purchased and donated supplies and equipment, including:
- many rewinders for use in the Cassette Inspection Unit;
- computers and software for Braille production and Computer Services;
- partial funding of volunteer appreciation activities;
- items needed for book and magazine recording and duplicating, and repair of cassette players; and
- descriptive videos for loan.
- award winning titles from the Sunshine State Young Readers Awards, Florida Teens Read, Florida Book Awards, and Florida Publisher Association awards
Funds received from dues ($10.00 per year for an individual annual membership, $50.00 per year for a supporting member, or $200.00 for a lifetime membership) and generous donations enable Friends of Library Access, Inc. to continue purchasing equipment and supporting various projects.
A second objective is to help with public education and outreach efforts. Members can promote the Braille and Talking Book Library program in local communities so that all eligible Florida residents are aware of available services.
You can join or renew by completing the Application and Renewal Form (PDF) or contact the Library to learn more.